Roger I. Glass, M.D., Ph.D., has served as the Director of the Fogarty International Center and Associate Director for International Research at NIH since 2006.
Opinions by Dr. Roger I. Glass
Science advances certainly require good ideas, hard work and perseverance. But I've found serendipity, personal relationships and good partnerships can also play a significant role.
In 1985, I traveled to Calcutta for a WHO meeting on diarrheal diseases, where I met a young Indian pediatrics professor, Dr. Maharaj "Raj" K. Bhan. Since we were housed at a convent with strict rules forbidding alcohol, we decided to leave the premises together for a drink. Our casual conversation that night spawned nearly three decades of fruitful collaboration. This May, it's my pleasure to join Raj and our now many other partners in New Delhi to review the results of a clinical trial of an affordable and effective rotavirus vaccine that is the result of this unplanned meeting 28 years ago.
>> Read More
More Opinion Pieces
More Articles and Other News
- The Neonatal Rotavirus Vaccine Project (Strain 116E) Rotavac: A Brief Review for the 25th Anniversary of the Indo-US Vaccine Action Program (VAP)
- Building developing country capacity is key in the battle against HIV/AIDS, Breakthroughs, a blog by the Global Health Technologies Coalition (GHTC), December 1, 2011
- Government-University Partnerships for Global Health - Session from the 2011 Consortium of Universities in Global Health Conference, November 14, 2011
- National Institute of Health Role in Global Health [Video] - Interview on Global Health TV, November 14, 2011
- Lessons From the US Rotavirus Vaccination Program - JAMA, October 19, 2011
- A Major Environmental Cause of Death [PDF, <1K], Science, October 14, 2011
- Accelerating progress on non-communicable diseases - The Lancet, September 19, 2011
- Fogarty director on UN summit on NCDs for State Department - September 6, 2011
- Gaps in Research - GLOBAL HEALTH Magazine, Winter 2011
- Real-world impact of rotavirus vaccination – Pediatric Infectious Diseases, January 30, 2011
- Developing Health Workforce Capacity in Africa - Science, December 3, 2010
- PubMed Citations for Roger I. Glass, M.D., Ph.D.
To view Adobe PDF files, download current, free accessible plug-ins from the Adobe's website.