Many U.S. government agencies are working to improve the health of the world's population, particularly those living in low- and middle-income countries. Under the Global Health Initiative (GHI), there is a concerted effort to improve coordination across U.S. agencies to increase efficiencies and align investments with recipient country priorities and with other donors, with the aim of making programs sustainable.
Photo by Tech. Sgt. Dennis J. Henry Jr./US Air Force
Dr. Rajiv Shah, the United States Agency for
International Development (USAID)
administrator, has laid out a broad plan for
reforming his organization. Above, he visits a
hospital in Port-au-Prince, Haiti to check on
post-earthquake relief operations.
Department of Defense (DoD)
- The International Health Division (IHD) of the Department of Defense Office of Force Health Protection and Readiness develops policies for the U.S. Military Health System that support DoD stability missions in at-risk, conflict, post conflict or disaster settings around the world.
- Armed with Science - A science and technology blog that provides a conduit to celebrate those involved in DoD cutting-edge research and development.
- Department of Defense HIV/AIDS Prevention Program (DHAP) - The Department of Defense HIV/AIDS Prevention Program's mission is to reduce the incidence of HIV/AIDS among uniformed personnel in selected African nations and beyond by assisting in developing and implementing military-specific HIV prevention programs; integrating with other US government, nongovernmental organizations, and United Nations programs; and supporting the mission of the President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR).
- Naval Health Research Center - The NHRC develops and delivers operational biomedical research solutions that enhance the health, safety, readiness and performance of military forces.
- U.S. Air Force 59th Medical Wing is the Air Force's premier medical unit, located in San Antonio. provides global medical readiness capability and comprehensive peacetime healthcare benefits through education, training and research.
- U.S. Army Medicine - For 200 years Army Medicine has not only served U.S. forces but advanced the medical knowledge of all mankind and reduced human suffering around the globe.
- Uniformed Services Universities of the Health Sciences is a center of excellence for military and public health professions in education and research, with programs related directly to force health protection, tropical diseases, disaster medicine, military and public health medical readiness and adaptation to extreme environments.
- Walter Reed Army Medical Center Research generates the largest number of ongoing clinical research studies within the military and is often referred to as the flagship of DOD clinical research.
Health and Human Services (HHS)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Food and Drug Administration (FDA): The Office of International Programs (OIP) advances the mission of the FDA and public health worldwide in partnership with other FDA components, other U.S. agencies, foreign governments and international organizations.
- Health Resources and Services Administration's Global HIV/AIDS program works to address the international epidemic in such areas as HIV/AIDS training and building capacity of health systems.
- Office of Global Affairs: OGA's mission is to promote the health of the world's population by advancing the Secretary's and the Department of Health and Human Services' global strategies and partnerships, thus serving the health of the people of the United States.
- US Public Health Service Commissioned Corps: The U.S. Public Health Service Commissioned Corps is an elite team of more than 6,500 full-time, well-trained, highly qualified public health professionals dedicated to delivering the Nation's public health promotion and disease prevention programs and advancing public health science.
President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR)
- PEPFAR is the U.S. Government initiative to help save the lives of those suffering from HIV/AIDS around the world.
President's Malaria Initiative (PMI)
- PMI is the U.S. government's initiative to reduce the intolerable burden of malaria and help relieve poverty on the African continent.
United States Agency for International Development (USAID)
- USAID programs in global health represent the commitment and determination of the United States Government to prevent suffering, save lives, and create a brighter future for families in the developing world.
Updated July 2012