Department of Health and Human Services
National Institutes of Health
John E. Fogarty International Center for Advanced Study in the Health Sciences
FIC Advisory Board Meeting
Lawton L. Chiles International House, Conference Room, NIH Campus
CLOSED SESSION - Monday, May 10, 2010
2:00 P.M. – 3:30 P.M.
Subcommittee Review of Applications
Dr. Roger Glass and Chair, Research Awards Working Group
- Fogarty International Research Collaboration Award – Basic Biomedical (FIRCA-BB) and Behavioral & Social Sciences (FIRCA-BSS)
- Global Infectious Disease research Training (GID)
- Global Research Initiative Program for New Foreign Investigators – Basic Biomedical (GRIP-BB) and Behavioral and Social Sciences (GRIP-BSS)
- Millennium Promise Awards: Non-communicable Chronic Diseases Research Training Program (NCoD)
- Malaria International Clinical, Operational, and Health Services Research Training Award (MICOHRTA)
- Ecology of Infectious Diseases (EID)
- Special Action: International Extramural Associates Research Development Awards (IEARDA)
- Special Action: Developing Research Capacity in Africa for Studies on HIV-Associated Malignancies (CA)
3:30 P.M. – 3:45 P.M.
3:45 P.M. – 5:00 P.M.
Full Board Review of Applications - Dr. Glass and Chair, Research Awards Working Group
- Update: D43 Training Grants
- Update: International Clinical, Operational and Health Service Research Training Award for AIDS and TB (ICOHRTA AIDS/TB) and AIDS International Training and Research Program (AITRP)
Update on FIC Award Decisions and FY2011 FIC Budget - Mr. Timothy Tosten and Mr. Bruce Butrum
Reception and Dinner
OPEN SESSION - Tuesday, May 11, 2010
8:30 A.M. - 9:00 A.M
9:00 A.M. – 10:30 A.M.
Director’s Update and Discussion of Current and Planned FIC Activities - Dr. Roger Glass
- Program Developments:
- Independent Scientist in Global Health Award (ISGHA) – Dr. Yvonne Njage
- Framework Programs for Global Health Signature Innovations Initiative (ARRA) – Dr. Flora Katz
- Program to Enhance NIH-supported Global Health Research Involving Human Subjects (ARRA) – Dr. Barbara Sina
- FIC-NIMH Collaborations – Dr. Kathy Michels
- FIC Implementation Science for Global Health Meeting – Ms. Sejal Mistry
- Recent US-China Conferences to Stimulate Joint Research Collaboration – Ms. Tina Chung
10:30 A.M. – 10:45 A.M.
10:45 A.M. – 11:30 A.M.
Consortium of Universities for Global Health (CUGH) - Dr. Haile Debas, Executive Director, UCSF Global Health Sciences
11:30 A.M. – 12:30 P.M.
New Developments in Chronic Disease Research and Training
- Dr. Susan Shurin, Acting Director, NHLBI
- Dr. Judith Fradkin, Director, Division of Diabetes, Endocrinology, & Metabolic Diseases, NIDDK
12:30 P.M. - 1:15 P.M
1:15 P.M. – 1:45 P.M.
Report of the CSIS Commission on Smart Global Health Policy - Dr. Stephen Morrison, Senior Vice President and Director, Global Health Policy Center
1:45 P.M. – 2:45 P.M.
Overview and Discussion: Medical Education Partnership Initiative (MEPI)
- Dr. Michael Johnson, Deputy Director, FIC, NIH
- Dr. Letitia Robinson, Program Officer for Sub-Saharan Africa, FIC, NIH