On behalf of the Fogarty International Center at the U.S. National Institutes of Health (NIH), the following funding
opportunities, notices and announcements may be of interest to those working in the field of global health research. Updates
are typically distributed once a week.
Top NIH News
Budget update > The U.S. federal government, including Fogarty and all of NIH, is operating under a continuing resolution through January 19, 2018. Access information about appropriations for fiscal year 2018 from Congress.gov.
Reminder: The NIH Office of Extramural Research (OER) is continuing to reissue many NIH funding opportunity announcements (FOAs) with information on the new FORMS-E grant application package for due dates on or after January 25, 2018, reflecting changes to the NIH definition of a clinical trial. Search the NIH Guide to Grants and Contracts for the most recent, accurate information on active NIH FOAs. "Section III. Eligibility Information" of each FOA specifies if foreign institutions are eligible to apply.
NIH funding opportunities focusing on global health and foreign collaboration.
- Reissue of International Research Scientist Development Award (IRSDA)
Independent Clinical Trial Not Allowed (K01) (PAR-18-539)
Independent Clinical Trial Required (K01) (PAR-18-540)
Application Receipt/Submission Date(s): March 7, 2018; March 7, 2019; March 6, 2020
- Improving Implementation of Seek, Test, Treat and Retain Strategies among People Who Inject Drugs in Low to Middle Income Countries (R01-Clinical Trial Required) (RFA-DA-18-017)
Application Receipt Date(s): April 13, 2018 and November 15, 2018
- Limited Competition: Revision Applications for International Centers of Excellence for Malaria Research (U19 Clinical Trial Optional) (RFA-AI-17-044)
Application Receipt Date(s): May 30, 2018
NIH funding opportunities for which foreign organizations, foreign components of U.S. organizations and/or other foreign components may apply.
NIH funding opportunities for which United States small business concerns (SBCs) may collaborate with a foreign business entity.
Information related to opportunities from other organizations focusing on global health and foreign collaboration.
- The Magill Fellowship, created by the ASTMH Council in partnership with the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, provides $50,000 for up to two years to one recipient to support mentorship, career and leadership development projects for ASTMH members in the early-to-middle stage of mid-career in LMICs focusing on leadership development in tropical medicine.
Submit concept papers to ASTMH by February 14, 2018.
NIH funding news that may be relevant to global health researchers.
- Revision: NIH Policy and Guidelines on the Inclusion of Individuals Across the Lifespan as Participants in Research Involving Human Subjects (NOT-OD-18-116)
- Maintaining Integrity in NIH Peer Review: Responsibilities and Consequences (NOT-OD-18-115)
- Notice Announcing the Removal of the Funding Pause for Gain-of-Function Research Projects (NOT-OD-17-071)
- NIH Applicant Assistance Program (AAP) for New or Previously Unawarded Small Businesses (NOT-CA-18-031)