COVID-19 is an emerging, rapidly evolving situation.
COVID-19 public health info from US CDC | COVID-19 research info from the US NIH | COVID-19 resources for global health researchers
Funding news for global health researchers March 30, 2020
On behalf of the Fogarty International Center at the U.S. National Institutes of Health (NIH), the following funding
opportunities, notices and announcements may be of interest to those working in the field of global health research. Updates
are typically distributed once a week.
Top NIH Funding News
Important funding and news from NIH, FDA, AHRQ and others.
Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) information for NIH grant applicants and grant recipients from the NIH Office of Extramural Research (OER)
Related Notices from NIH, FDA and AHRQ:
- UPDATE: NIH Late Application Policy Due to Public Health Emergency for United States for 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) (NOT-OD-20-091)
- Notice of Special Interest (NOSI): Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) and Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) (NOT-AI-20-031)
- Notice of Special Interest (NOSI) regarding the Availability of Emergency Competitive Revisions for Research on Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) and Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) (NOT-AI-20-034)
- Notice of Special Interest: NIEHS Worker Training Program Coronavirus and Infectious Disease Response Training (NOT-ES-20-014)
- Notice of Special Interest (NOSI): Clinical and Translational Science Award (CTSA) Program Applications to Address 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) Public Heath Need (NOT-TR-20-011)
- Notice of Special Interest (NOSI): Repurposing Existing Therapeutics to Address the 2019 Novel Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) (NOT-TR-20-012)
- FDA - Flexibilities Available to Applicants and Recipients of Federal Financial Assistance Affected by COVID-19 (NOT-FD-20-019)
- Notice of Intent: Revision Supplements to Existing AHRQ Grants and Cooperative Agreements to Address Health System Responsiveness to COVID-19 (NOT-HS-20-007)
- Notice of Intent: New Funding Opportunity Announcement to Support Novel, High-Impact Studies Evaluating Health System and Healthcare Professional Responsiveness to COVID-19 (NOT-HS-20-008)
COVID-19 Therapeutics Accelerator from Wellcome Trust, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and Mastercard will coordinate research efforts and remove barriers to drug development.
- The U.S. International Development Finance Corporation (DFC) can provide financing and other financial tools to businesses responding to COVID-19 through investments in the developing world. Examples could include investments to build or expand research and production facilities in less developed countries. See
DFC Responding to a Global Health Crisis [PDF] for details.
Research to support COVID-19 response in humanitarian settings from Elrha.
Application deadline: May 4, 2020
- Free online COVID-19 training resources:
NIH funding opportunities focusing on global health and foreign collaboration.
Notice of Special Interest (NOSI): Strengthening the HIV Prevention Continuum (NOT-MH-20-019)
Submit applications using one of the listed opportunity announcements (FOAs) or any reissues of the announcement through the expiration date of this notice, including the following Fogarty program announcements:
Emerging Global Leader Award (K43 Independent Clinical Trial Required) (PAR-19-051)
Emerging Global Leader Award (K43 Independent Clinical Trial Not Allowed) (PAR-19-098)
Fogarty HIV Research Training Program for Low-and Middle-Income Country Institutions (D43 Clinical Trial Optional) (PAR-19-283)
This notice applies to due dates on or after May 7, 2020 and subsequent receipt dates through May 8, 2023.
NIH funding opportunities for which foreign organizations, foreign components of U.S. organizations and/or other foreign components may apply.
- Long Acting Treatments for HIV and HIV-Associated Co-Infections
(R61/R33 Clinical Trial Not Allowed) (RFA-AI-20-024)
Application Receipt Date(s): July 28, 2020
- Innovations in HIV Prevention, Testing, Adherence and Retention to Optimize HIV Prevention and Care Continuum Outcomes
(R01 Clinical Trial Optional) (PA-20-144) and
(R21 Clinical Trial Optional) (PA-20-145)
Application Receipt Dates: Standard AIDS dates apply.
- National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) Small Research Grant Program (R03 Clinical Trial Required) (PA-20-146)
Application Receipt Date(s): Standard dates apply
- Exploiting in vivo or in situ imaging approaches to understand HIV-relevant processes in the context of substance use disorders
(R61/R33 Clinical Trials Optional) (RFA-DA-21-005)
Application Receipt Date(s): July 14, 2020
- Extracellular RNA carrier subclasses in processes relevant to Substance Use Disorders or HIV infection
(R01- Clinical Trial Not Allowed) (PAR-20-147) and
(R21- Clinical Trial Not Allowed) (PAR-20-148)
Application Receipt Date(s): October 13, 2020, March 15, 2021, October 13, 2021, and more
- Polygenic Risk Score (PRS) Methods and Analysis for Populations of Diverse Ancestry
(U01 Clinical Trial Not Allowed) (RFA-HG-20-001)
(U01 Clinical Trial Not Allowed) (RFA-HG-20-002)
Application Receipt Date(s): June 23, 2020
NIH funding news that may be relevant to global health researchers.
- Notice of Change: Extension to end date for NOT-OD-20-059 RFI: Scientific Priorities for Behavioral and Social Science Research at NIH (NOT-OD-20-092)
Submit responses by April 30, 2020.
- National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI) Announces Big Data Analysis Challenge: Creating New Paradigms for Heart Failure Research (NOT-HL-20-758)
- Notice of Transfer of The National Children's Study (NCS) Archive Materials to the NICHD Data and Specimen Hub (DASH) (NOT-HD-20-010)