COVID-19 is an emerging, rapidly evolving situation.
COVID-19 public health info from US CDC | COVID-19 research info from the US NIH | COVID-19 resources for global health researchers
Funding news for global health researchers August 3, 2020
On behalf of the Fogarty International Center at the U.S. National Institutes of Health (NIH), the following funding
opportunities, notices and announcements may be of interest to those working in the field of global health research. Updates
are typically distributed once a week.
COVID-19 Grants and Funding News
Important news from NIH for grantees and grant applicants on the novel coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 and coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).
NIH funding opportunities focusing on global health and foreign collaboration.
New > Harnessing Data Science for Health Discovery and Innovation in Africa (DS-I Africa), an NIH Common Fund program:
- Research Training Program
(U2R - Clinical Trial Optional) (RFA-RM-20-016)
Application Due Date: November 24, 2020
- Ethical, Legal, and Social Implications Research
(U01 – Clinical Trial Not Allowed) (RFA-RM-20-017)
Application Due Date: December 1, 2020
- Open Data Science Platform and Coordinating Center
(U2C – Clinical Trial Not Allowed) (RFA-RM-20-018)
Application Due Date: December 3, 2020
- Research Hubs
(U54–Clinical Trial Optional) (RFA-RM-20-015)
Non-AIDS Application Due Date: December 8, 2020
AIDS Application Due Date: February 8, 2021
- The NIH Common Fund will host DS-I Africa technical assistance webinars August 10, 2020. See the
related NIH Guide notice NOT-RM-20-024 for details.
Register now and join the DS-I Africa Virtual Symposium Platform for keynote presentations, interactive panels and networking opportunities. Events begin 9 am ET on Monday, Aug. 10.
- Chronic Kidney Diseases of UnceRtain Etiology (CKDu) in Agricultural Communities (CURE) Research Consortium:
Field Epidemiology Sites
(U01 - Clinical Trial Not Allowed) (RFA-DK-20-017)
Renal Science Core
(U01 - Clinical Trial Not Allowed) (RFA-DK-20-018)
Scientific Data Coordinating Center (SDCC)
(U24 - Clinical Trial Not Allowed) (RFA-DK-20-019)
Fogarty is participating in the Field Epidemiology Sites.
Application Due Date: November 10, 2020
NIDDK will host a
pre-application webinar on August 17, 2020. Advance registration is required. See the
related NIH Guide notice NOT-DK-20-037 for details.
- Reissue of Ethical, Legal and Social Implications (ELSI) research:
Research Project Grant
(R01 Clinical Trial Optional) (PAR-20-254)
Exploratory/Developmental Research Grant
(R21 Clinical Trial Optional) (Clinical Trial Optional) (PAR-20-255)
Small Research Grant
(R03) Clinical Trial Optional) (PAR-20-257)
Fogarty is interested in supporting research on ethical issues related to human genome research relevant to low- and middle-income countries, in particular, studies conducted by investigators in these countries, through the Small Research Grant Program (R03) (PA-20-257).Application Due Dates: October 19 2020, February 17 2021, and more.
NIH funding opportunities for which foreign organizations, foreign components of U.S. organizations and/or other foreign components may apply.
- Device-Based Treatments for Substance Use Disorders
(UG3/UH3, Clinical Trial Optional) (PAR-20-279)
Application Receipt Dates: December 15, 2020; August 10, 2021; and more
- Integrative Research to Understand the Impact of Sex Differences on the Molecular Determinants of AD Risk and Responsiveness to Treatment
(R01 Clinical Trial Optional) (RFA-AG-21-029)
Application Receipt Date: November 10, 2020
- Investigator-Initiated Research on Genetic Counseling Processes and Practices
(R01, Clinical Trial Optional) (RFA-HG-20-048) and
(R21, Clinical Trial Optional) (RFA-HG-20-049)
Application Receipt Dates: October 28, 2020 and July 8, 2021
- Fertility Status as a Marker for Overall Health
(R01 Clinical Trial Optional) (PAR-20-281) and
(R21 Clinical Trial Not Allowed) (PAR-20-282)
Application Receipt Dates: October 19, 2020; June 19, 2021; and more
- Assay development and screening for discovery of chemical probes, drugs or immunomodulators
(R01 Clinical Trial Not Allowed) (PAR-20-271)
Application Receipt Dates: Standard dates apply.
- Secondary Analysis and Integration of Existing Data to Elucidate the Genetic Architecture of Cancer Risk and Related Outcomes
(R01 Clinical Trial Not Allowed) (PAR-20-276) and
(R21 Clinical Trials Not Allowed) (PAR-20-277)
Application Receipt Dates: Standard dates apply.
NIH Notices of Special Interest (NOSIs) that may be of interest to global health researchers.
- Notice of Special Interest: Fundamental and Translational Research on Decision Making in Aging and/or Alzheimer's Disease and Alzheimer's Disease Related Dementias (AD/ADRD) (NOT-AG-20-039)
- Notice of Special Interest (NOSI): Improving Methods to Assess Body Composition in Infants and Young Children (NOT-DK-20-036)
Information related to opportunities from other organizations focusing on global health and foreign collaboration.
Grant to Activate Global Engagement (GAGE) from the American Neurological Association will provide up to $1,500 to support attendance at its 2020 virtual annual meeting. Awards are open to organizations or groups of neurologists or neurology trainees engaged in clinical care, research or medical education in a low-income or lower-middle-income country settings whose practice is focused on the care of children or adults with neurological disorders.
Application deadline: August 31, 2020
NIH funding news that may be relevant to global health researchers.
- Policy Update - Results Information Reporting for Applicable Clinical Trials (ACTs) (NOT-OD-20-147)
- Upcoming Changes to the Notice of Award (NoA) Beginning October 1, 2020 (NOT-OD-20-155)
- Request for Information (RFI):Advancing Biomarker Research and Implementation to Personalize Health Services Delivery for Tobacco Use Disorder (NOT-DA-20-073)
- Request for Information (RFI) on Flexibilities for Conducting Semiannual Animal Facility Inspections (NOT-OD-20-145)
- Notice of Intent to Publish a Funding Opportunity Announcement for HEALthy Brain and Child Development Study (NOT-DA-20-069)
- Notice of Intent to Publish a Funding Opportunity Announcement for New Cohorts to Assess Environmental Exposures and Cancer Risk (UG3/UH3 Clinical Trial Optional) (NOT-CA-20-086)
- Notice of Intent to Publish a Funding Opportunity Announcement for a Coordinating Center for New Cohorts to Assess Environmental Exposures and Cancer Risk (U24 Clinical Trial Not Allowed) (NOT-CA-20-091)
Global Infectious Disease Research Training
D43 application deadline: August 14, 2020
D71 application deadline: October 28, 2020
HIV Research Training Program for LMIC Institutions
Application deadline: August 20, 2020
Mobile Health: Technology and Outcomes in LMICs
Application deadline: September 24, 2020
AIDS application deadline: December 3, 2020
Tobacco Use and HIV in Low and Middle-Income Countries
Application Receipt Date: September 24, 2020
Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) short-term U.S. Postdoctoral Fellowships in Japan
Application deadline: October 1, 2020
Fulbright-Fogarty Fellows in Public Health
Application deadline: October 13, 2020
Emerging Global Leader Award
Application deadline: November 4, 2020
Global Brain Disorders Research
Application deadline: November 6, 2020
Reducing Stigma to Improve HIV/AIDS Prevention, Treatment and Care in LMICs
Application deadline: November 12, 2020
Chronic, Noncommunicable Diseases and Disorders Research Training (NCD-Lifespan)
D43 application deadline: November 13, 2020
Ecology and Evolution of Infectious Diseases Initiative (EEID)
Application deadline: November 18, 2020
Harnessing Data Science for Health Discovery and Innovation in Africa (DS-I Africa):
Research Training Program due date: November 24, 2020
Ethical, Legal, and Social Implications Research due date: December 1, 2020
Open Data Science Platform and Coordinating Center due date: December 3, 2020
Research Hubs non-AIDS application due date: December 8, 2020
Research Hubs AIDS application due date: February 8, 2021
Upcoming deadlines for all Fogarty funding opportunities