COVID-19 public health information from the US CDC |
COVID-19 research information from the US NIH |
COVID-19 resources for global health researchers
Funding news for global health researchers April 12, 2021
On behalf of the Fogarty International Center at the U.S. National Institutes of Health (NIH), the following funding
opportunities, notices and announcements may be of interest to those working in the field of global health research. Updates
are typically distributed once a week.
Top NIH Funding News
NIH news related to ending structural racism in biomedical research:
- Notice to Extend the Response Date for NOT-OD-21-066, "Request for Information (RFI): Inviting Comments and Suggestions to Advance and Strengthen Racial Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion in the Biomedical Research Workforce and Advance Health Disparities and Health Equity Research" (NOT-OD-21-105)
New Response Date: April 23, 2021
NIH funding opportunities for which foreign organizations, foreign components of U.S. organizations and/or other foreign components may apply.
- Mechanism-Focused Research to Promote Adherence to Healthful Behaviors to Prevent Mild Cognitive Impairment (MCI) and Alzheimer’s Disease and Related Dementias (AD/ADRD)
(R01 Clinical Trial Optional) (PAR-21-207) and
(R61/R33 Clinical Trial Required) (RFA-AG-22-016)
Application Receipt Dates: September 15, 2021, January 26, 2022 (R61/R33 only)
- Specialized Alcohol Research Centers
(P50 Clinical Trial Optional) (RFA-AA-21-005)
Comprehensive Alcohol Research Centers
(P60 Clinical trial Optional) (RFA-AA-21-006)
Application Receipt Date: November 15, 2021
Note: Unique scientific opportunities such as sharing of resources or expertise may warrant collaboration with investigators from other centers or from other institutions, domestic or foreign.
- Understanding HIV Reservoir Dynamics
(P01, Clinical Trial Not Allowed)
AIDS Application Receipt Dates: July 30, 2021
- Development of New Technologies and Bioengineering Solutions for the Advancement of Cell Replacement Therapies for Type 1 Diabetes (T1D)
(R01 Clinical Trial Optional) (RFA-DK-21-006)
Application Receipt Dates: October 20, 2021
- Collaboration in Regulatory Systems Strengthening and Standardization Activities to Increase Global Access to Safe and Effective Biological Products
(U01) Clinical Trials Not Allowed (RFA-FD-21-031) from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
Application Receipt Date: July 13, 2021
- BRAIN Initiative: Targeted BRAIN Circuits:
Projects - TargetedBCP
(R01 Clinical Trial Not Allowed) (RFA-NS-21-013) Planning Projects - TargetedBCPP
(R34 Clinical Trials Not Allowed) (RFA-NS-21-014)
Application Receipt Dates: July 07, 2021, November 10, 2021
- Cutting Edge Informatics Tools for Illuminating the Druggable Genome
(U01 Clinical Trial Not Allowed) (RFA-RM-21-020)
Application Receipt Date: July 15, 2021
NIH Notices of Intent to Publish Funding Opportunity Announcements:
- Notices of Intent to Publish Funding Opportunity Announcements for NIH Bridge to Artificial Intelligence (Bridge2AI) Program:
Integration, Dissemination, and Evaluation (BRIDGE) Center
(U54 Clinical Trial Not Allowed) (NOT-RM-21-021)
Data Generation Projects
Estimated Publication Date: June 11, 2021
First Estimated Application Due Date: August 20, 2021
Note: Bridge2AI encourages the involvement of comparatively under-resourced institutions as partners in the BRIDGE Center, as partners in the data generation projects, as stand-alone applicants or through creative partnership agreements.
More about the
NIH Bridge to Artificial Intelligence (Bridge2AI) program from the NIH Common Fund.
NIH Notices of Special Interest (NOSIs) that may be of interest to global health researchers.
- Notice of Special Interest (NOSI): Developing and Testing Multilevel Physical Activity Interventions to Improve Health and Well-Being (NOT-OD-21-087)
Events that may be of interest to NIH grant applicants.
- The NIH Center for Scientific Review (CSR), will host
NIH Grants 101 and Early Career Reviewer (ECR) Program on April 14, 2021. The webinar will provide useful insights into the NIH submission and peer review processes, and provide information about the Early Career Reviewer program.
Register to participate in the webinar.
- Fogarty, the International Development Research Centre (IDRC), the UK Medical Research Council (MRC) and Wellcome Trust are seeking early- to mid-career scientists or those who are new to humanitarian health research to participate and present case studies during a pilot virtual
Global Forum on Humanitarian Health Research in November 2021. Priority will be given to applicants from low- and middle-income countries, and researchers who are living in countries or regions affected by concurrent crises, though applicants from high-income countries may apply.
Application deadline: May 28, 2021
Information related to opportunities from other organizations focusing on global health and foreign collaboration.
Interstellar Initiative, presented jointly by the Japan Agency for Medical Research and Development and the New York Academy of Sciences, recognizes promising early career investigators from around the world and connects them with peers, in related but distinct disciplines, providing a platform for them to develop a solution to a major research question.
Application deadline: May 24, 2021