The Medical Education Partnership Initiative (MEPI) announced grants to African institutions in a dozen countries, forming a network including more than 30 regional partners, country health and education ministries, and more than 20 U.S. and foreign collaborators.
MEPI News and Information
The latest news coverage of MEPI programs and awards announcements.
- >> All MEPI News
- University of Botswana School of Medicine and Ministry of Health developed symptom-cased primary care guidelines - University of Botswana news, September 20, 2013
- MEPI principal investigators present successes and challenges in Voices of Change [Video] video series
- Recorded webcasts of sessions from August 2012 MEPI Symposium from the MEPI Network
- Africa transforms its medical education with Medical Education Partnership Initiative (MEPI) - Global Health Matters, October 2012
- Building a health care workforce in Africa: opinion by Fogarty Director Dr Roger I Glass - Global Health Matters, October 2012
- August 2012 MEPI Symposium presentations and photos now available from MEPI Network
- The Medical Education Partnership Initiative: PEPFAR's Effort To Boost Health Worker Education To Strengthen Health Systems - Health Affairs, July 2012
- MEPI sites awarded $2.3 M to strengthen research management - Fogarty news, June 2012
- PEPFAR Programs Support African Efforts to Fight Global AIDS - March 19, 2011, post by Ambassador Eric Goosby to DipNote, the U.S. Department of State Official Blog
- News from MEPI partner University of Cape Town
- NIH's Collins: New opportunities for global health research in Africa - March 14, 2001, Science Speaks: HIV & TB News, an interview with NIH Director Francis S. Collins, MD, PhD
- HHS partners with PEPFAR to transform African medical education with $130 million investment - October 2010, Fogarty Global Health Matters newsletter
- >> All MEPI News
Photo courtesy of UCSD
Grants awarded through the
Medical Education Partnership
Initiative will benefit health care
workers throughout Africa, such
as the team gathered above
Download this and other images
from the Photo Gallery
of MEPI Research Sites.
The Medical Education Partnership Initiative (MEPI) supports foreign institutions in Sub-Saharan African countries that receive PEPFAR support and their partners to develop or expand and enhance models of medical education. These models are intended to support PEPFAR’s goal of increasing the number of new health care workers by 140,000, strengthen medical education systems in the countries in which they exist, and build clinical and research capacity in Africa as part of a retention strategy for faculty of medical schools and clinical professors.