Department of Health and Human Services
National Institutes of Health
John E. Fogarty International Center for Advanced Study in the Health Sciences
FIC Advisory Board Meeting
May 7, 2019
Stone House, Building 16, NIH Campus
9:00 A.M. - 9:45 A.M.
Director's Update and Discussion of Current and Planned FIC Activities
Dr. Roger Glass
- Dr. Raul Mejia, Director of Health Research, Argentine Secretariat of Health
- Dr. Keith Martin, Executive Director, Consortium of Universities of Global Health
9:45 A.M. - 10:00 A.M.
Review of Fogarty’s HIV Investments
Celia Wolfman, Global Health Research and Policy Analyst, Division of International Science Policy, Planning and Evaluation, FIC
10:00 A.M. – 10:20 A.M.
Dr. Geetha Bansal, Division of International Training and Research, FIC
10:20 A.M. – 10:40 A.M.
10:40 A.M. - 11:30 A.M.
Catalyzing Translational Innovation
Dr. Christopher P. Austin, Director, National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences (NCATS)
11:30 A.M. - 12:00 P.M.
The Lancet – O’Neill Institute, Georgetown University Commission on Global Health and the Law
John T. Monahan, JD, Senior Scholar, O'Neill Institute for National and Global Health Law, Georgetown University
12:00 P.M. - 1:00 P.M.
1:00 P.M. - 2:45 P.M.
Global Health Surgery
Introduction: Dr. Roger Glass
- Dr. Robin Petroze, Assistant Professor of Surgery, Division of Pediatric, Surgery, Assistant Chair of Global Surgery, University of Florida
- Dr. Lily Gutnik, Resident, General Surgery, University of Utah
- Dr. Barclay Stewart, Chief Resident, General Surgery, Department of Surgery, University of Washington
- Dr. Anthony Charles, Director of Global Surgery, UNC Institute of Global Health, Adjunct Professor of Public Health, UNC School of Medicine
- Funding Opportunities for Surgeons: Dr. Scott Somers (NIGMS), Dr. Susan Perkins (NCI)
- Discussion introduction: Drs. Mike Cohen and Judy Wasserheit
2:45 P.M. - 3:00 P.M.
Updated April 29, 2019