Find information on the Fogarty International Center at NIH in the following publications, including: materials produced by Fogarty, articles in leading scientific journals, and information on publications produced by Fogarty staff and grantees.
Fogarty's flagship publication features articles on our grantees, trainees, programs, and topics of interest to global health researchers. Published bi-monthly online and in print.
Global Health Matters
Learn about how the Fogarty International Center, part of the U.S. National Institutes of Health (NIH), supports basic, clinical and applied research and training for U.S. and foreign investigators working in the developing world.
In May 2022, NIH requested input on how to promote greater equity in global health research conducted in low- and middle-income countries. In the interest of transparency and public dissemination, this report is a broad summary of the responses.
NIH Summary Report on Request for Information on Promoting Equity in Global Health Research
In 2022, Fogarty's flagship Global Health Fellows and Scholars program, now known as LAUNCH, celebrates its 20th anniversary. This booklet showcases two decades of the program and features profiles of 40 alumni.
Global Health Fellows & Scholars 20th Anniversary [PDF]
Note: While the PDF version of the booklet is not 508 compliant, the web versions of the same content (linked from
Fogarty Global Health Fellows & Scholars at 20) are compliant.
To celebrate our 50th anniversary in 2018, Fogarty published this book which takes readers through our history—our founding in honor of Congressman John E. Fogarty; the HIV/AIDS crisis that shifted our focus to building research capacity in low- and middle-income countries; examples of our scientific accomplishments; and viewpoints from fellows, trainees, grantees and partners.
Advancing science for global health since 1968
Fogarty's Strategic Plan advances the global health research agenda by building on past and current Fogarty investments and successes in a way that responds to the changed landscape in global health.
Recent Journal Articles by Fogarty Staff
- Evaluation of the US COVID-19 Scenario Modeling Hub for informing pandemic response under uncertainty, co-authored by Fogarty’s Cécile Viboud
Nature Communications, November 20, 2023
- Reversing the trend: a scoping review of health innovation transfer or exchange from low- and middle-income countries to high-income countries, co-authored by former Fogarty staff members Arina Knowlton and Linda Kupfer. Part of the Fogarty-supported “Reciprocal Innovation in Global Health Research” article series
BMJ Global Health, November 15, 2023
- A comprehensive SARS-CoV-2 and COVID-19 review, Part 2: host extracellular to systemic effects of SARS-CoV-2 infection, co-authored by Fogarty’s Nídia Trovão
European Journal of Human Genetics, November 8, 2023
- Evolutionary and spatiotemporal analyses reveal multiple introductions and cryptic transmission of SARS-CoV-2 VOC/VOI in Malta, co-authored by Fogarty's Nídia S. Trovão
Microbiology Spectrum, October 6, 2023
- Perinatal care and breastfeeding education during the COVID‐19 pandemic: Perspectives from Kenyan mothers and healthcare workers, co-authored by Fogarty International Research Scientist Scott Ickes
Maternal and Child Nutrition, October 2023
- Accelerating Bayesian inference of dependency between mixed-type biological traits, co-authored by Fogarty’s Nídia S. Trovão and Josh Cherry
PLOS Computational Biology, August 28, 2023
- Can community based solar energy initiatives deliver on women's empowerment in India? Evidence from rural Assam, Bihar, Jharkhand and Uttar Pradesh, co-authored by NIH Climate and Health Scholar Praveen Kumar
Energy Research & Social Science, August 23, 2023
- Core mitochondrial genes are down-regulated during SARS-CoV-2 infection of rodent and human hosts, co-authored by Fogarty’s Nídia S. Trovão
Science Translational Medicine, August 9, 2023
- Sequential viral introductions and spread of BA.1 across Pakistan provinces during the Omicron wave, co-authored by Fogarty’s Nídia S. Trovão, David Spiro, and Zeba Rasmussen
BMC Genomics, August 3, 2023
- Viewpoint: Global HIV control: is the glass half empty or half full?, co-authored by Acting Fogarty Director Peter Kilmarx and Fogarty grantees Jean Nachega and Frederick Altice
The Lancet HIV, July 25, 2023
- Behavioral factors and SARS-CoV-2 transmission heterogeneity within a household cohort in Costa Rica, co-authored by Fogarty’s Kaiyuan Sun
Communications Medicine, July 22, 2023
- Commentary: We must invest in behavioural economics for the HIV response, co-authored by Fogarty’s Susan Vorkoper
Nature Human Behaviour, July 18, 2023
- Perspective: A global matchmaking web platform facilitating equitable institutional partnerships and mentorship to strengthen health workforce training capacity, co-authored by Fogarty’s Linda Kupfer
Frontiers in Education, June 30, 2023
- The epidemiology of HIV population viral load in twelve sub-Saharan African countries, co-authored by Acting Fogarty Director Peter Kilmarx
PLOS One, June 26, 2023
More Fogarty Staff publications
Updated November 22, 2023