Harnessing Data Science for Health Discovery and Innovation in Africa
Not accepting applications at this time
Combatting AntiMicrobial Resistance in Africa Using Data Science (CAMRA) research hub aims to study antimicrobial resistance (AMR) in Africa.
DS-I Africa is an NIH Common Fund program that is supported by the Office of the Director and 11 NIH Institutes, Centers and Offices. Awards are establishing a consortium consisting of a data science platform and coordinating center, seven research hubs, seven data science research training programs and four projects focused on studying the ethical, legal and social implications (ELSI) of data science research. Awardees are building a robust network of partnerships across the African continent and in the U.S., including numerous national health ministries, nongovernmental organizations, corporations and other academic institutions.
Read more about the DS-I Africa program on the NIH Common Fund website.
Open data science platform and coordinating center
Credit: D-SINE Africa HubThe
Harnessing Data Science to Promote Equity in Injury and Surgery for Africa research hub aims to leverage data science to decrease the impact of trauma and surgical disease in Cameroon and greater Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Goal: Facilitate the development of a trans-African network of data scientists.
- Goal: To advance and demonstrate feasibility of data science research and innovation to improve health in Africa.
- Fogarty's role: Fogarty is overseeing awards that fund seven research hubs, all of which are led by African institutions. The hubs will apply novel approaches to data analysis and AI to address critical health issues.
Research training programs
- Goal: To increase capacity for data science research in Africa.
- Fogarty's role: Fogarty is overseeing awards for seven research training programs which aim to create multi-tiered curricula to build skills in foundational health data science, with options ranging from master's and doctoral degree tracks, to postdoctoral training and faculty development.
- Goal: Explore Ethical, Legal, and Social Implications of data science research from an African perspective and contribute to policy discussion on the continent.
DS-I Africa Online
DS-I Africa is a program of the
NIH Common Fund, which is managed by the Office of Strategic Coordination/Division of Program Coordination, Planning, and Strategic Coordination/Office of the NIH Director.
In addition to the Common Fund (CF), the DS-I Africa awards are being supported by the Fogarty International Center (FIC), the National Cancer Institute (NCI), the National Human Genome Research Institute (NHGRI), the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), the National Institute of Biomedical Imaging and Bioengineering (NIBIB), the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD), the National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research (NIDCR), the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS), the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH), the National Library of Medicine (NLM) and the NIH Office of Data Science Strategy (ODSS). The initiative is being led by the CF, FIC, NIBIB, NIMH and NLM.
Previous Announcements and Awards
Related NIH Notices
Related World Regions / Countries
9/26/2023 3:24 PM