Subscribe to Fogarty's Global Health Matters newsletter, and weekly funding news for global health researchers.
FAES Graduate School Global Health Courses
Fogarty Career Development
Interested in a career in global health research? Find out what positions exist, what qualifications you need and what degree programs are available to help you succeed.
Please feel free to send additional suggested resources to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note: Fogarty provides this collection of global health career resources to supplement the information found on this website. These resources are not produced by Fogarty, and Fogarty cannot guarantee the accuracy of information provided on external websites. Inclusion in this collection does not indicate an endorsement by Fogarty of the sponsors or of the information and products.
NIH Resources | Career Info & Jobs | University Programs
- Jobs@NIH Scientific Jobs and Jobs@NIH Scientific Fellowships and Trainees - Find out more about scientific jobs and research training opportunities available at NIH, including those for non-citizens.
- NIH Loan Repayment Programs - If you commit at least two years to conducting qualified research funded by a domestic nonprofit organization or U.S. federal, state or local government entity, NIH may repay up to $35,000 of your qualified student loan debt per year, including most undergraduate, graduate and medical school loans. Loan repayment benefits are in addition to the institutional salary you receive for your research.
Note: Applicants who demonstrate strong career goals related to capacity building, collaborative research and research training in low- and middle-income countries (as defined by the World Bank) may select Fogarty as the preferred NIH Institute or Center (IC). We have a limited budget and may fund up to two applications per year. For applications of equal scientific merit, we may give extra consideration to prior Fogarty trainees or fellows.
- Training Programs in the Biomedical Sciences - Information compiled by the NIH Office of Intramural Training and Education, including resources for all education levels from high school students through post-docs.
- Genomic Careers - An online portal from the National Human Genome Research Institute (NHGRI) to encourage and promote careers in the Genomic field. Browse interactive videos, career profiles and a Career Tracker.
- Directory of Non-NIH Funding Opportunities - Locate international grants and fellowships in biomedical and behavioral research, compiled by Fogarty.
- Foundation for Advanced Education in the Sciences (FAES) courses on global health, including Introduction to global health and Noncommunicable diseases in global health.
- NIH Office of Technology Transfer (OTT) offers training opportunities available to scientists, managers and other qualified personnel with backgrounds in the fields of law, business or life sciences. The program enables candidates to combine their legal, business or life science background with training and experience in the technology transfer field.
Global Health Career Information and Job Opportunities
- American Society for Microbiology (ASM) career resources:
- Association of Schools of Public Health (ASPH) resources for students interested in studying global health
- Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation global health careers information to search domestic and global job opportunities, and to participate in their professional community through topic-based subscriptions.
- CareersinPublicHealth.net features information about public health specialties, career paths, top public health schools, top online programs, salaries, education requirements and future job demand.
- CUGH Global Health Program Database - Complied in 2013 by the Consortium of Universities for Global Health (CUGH), the database provides information on undergraduate, graduate, and professional global health programs around the world.
- Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) certifies international medical graduates (IMGs) and promotes excellence in international medical education, offering many online directories, resources and networking tools.
- Environmental Science Careers provides expansive information on environmental science education and careers, including career paths, degrees, internships and scholarships.
- Global Health Career Information from ExploreHealthCareers.org, a free, multi-disciplinary, interactive health careers website designed to explain the array of health professions and provide easy access to students seeking information about health careers.
- Global Health Council Job Board offers resources for employers and job seekers. Search hundreds of jobs, post your resume, and access resume and career resources.
- Global Health Network collection of job opportunities - Includes global job and training opportunities in the field of clinical research.
- Partners in Health Employment Opportunities - Partners in Health (PIH), an international health organization committed to improving the health of the poor and marginalized, offers employment opportunities working with its global implementation programs.
- Public Health Online public health degree program information, including related scholarships and internships, and school search tools.
- Science Careers information from the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) includes job listings worldwide (search and filter by continent), and a collection of articles and resources on science careers.
- World Association of Young Scientists Jobs includes a large collection of job and fellowship opportunities for varying levels of experience. WAYS is a global, volunteer-run, non-profit and community-driven collaborative Science network.
- World Bank Programs and Internships - The World Bank offers unique programs that provide learning, staffing and capacity building opportunities for junior and mid-career professionals to experience first-hand what working at the Bank is like.
Fogarty-supported University Global Health Programs
Other University Global Health Programs
Students can earn a two-year Master course in public health through the Europubhealth Erasmus Mundus Joint Master Degree. Seven renowned American and European schools of public health organize and deliver the program. Students experience mobility and discover European higher education and health systems. Scholarships are available.
Updated December 2017