NIH Employee DS-11 Official Passport or Renewal Instructions
This form must be presented and signed in person at the time of your appointment with the Fogarty Passport Agent.
You must use this form if:
- You have never had a U.S. passport book/card, or you need your personal passport for a personal trip and cannot submit it at this time, or
- You were under the age of 16 when your most recent U.S. passport book/card was issued, or
- Your most recent passport/card was issued more than 15 years ago, or
- Your most recent passport was damaged, lost or stolen. (If you are applying because your passport was lost or stolen, you will also need to submit Form DS-64.)
When applying for an official passport using the DS-11 form, bring the following items with you to your appointment at the FIC Visa/Passport Office:
Passport Application Form DS 11, using the Department of State form filler tool.
- Select "Fill Out Online and Print"
- For Contact Information – Mailing Address, use:
- Street Address: Courier
- Street Address 2: HHS/NIH
- City: Bethesda
- State: MD
- Zip Code: 20892
- Put your address in the Permanent Address section.
- For Your Most Recent Passport, select
None (even if you do have a passport book/card).
- For Passport Products and Fees, select
Passport Book. Ignore the fee information. There is no fee for the official passport.
- Review your information and print out the form,
Important: Do not sign the form. You will sign the form in front of the FIC Passport Agent.
- If you notice an error after printing, you will need to start over and complete a new form. Handwritten additions or changes cause delays in processing.
- For additional guidance and screen shots, see the
form filler tutorial.
Recent photo: One 2”x2” color photograph on a light background,
taken within the last 6 months.
- Submitting an old or previously used photo causes processing delays.
- Pictures may be obtained from the NIH photography team in the
Event Management Branch Multimedia Section:
Bring a completed
photography request form.
- Location: Building 10, Room B2L328
- Telephone: 301-496-9993
- Hours: Tuesdays from 9 to 11 a.m. and Thursdays from 3 to 4 p.m.
- Eye glasses may not be worn in passport photos. If you cannot remove your glasses for medical reasons, you’ll need to obtain and submit a signed statement from a medical professional or practitioner with your passport application.
- Proof of U.S. citizenship (bring original document and a photocopy, single-sided of the front and back):
- U.S. birth certificate with an embossed seal, or
- U.S. naturalization certificate, or
- Previous U.S. passport book/card.
- Proof of identity (bring original document and a photocopy, single-sided of the front and back):
- Driver’s license, or
- Previous or current U.S. passport book/card, or
- Military or federal government employee identification, or
- Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship.
- If you have changed your name since your identification was issued, provide legal documentation (e.g., a marriage certificate).
passport information sheet [PDF 35K].
- Supervisory approval of your request to travel
- If your travel authorization is not yet in the CGE travel system, provide a copy of your supervisor’s approval of your request to travel.
Our Office is Temporarily Moving!
Effective January 17, 2023, the Fogarty International Center (FIC) Visa Passport Office (VPO) will be temporarily relocated to Building 31, Room 3B41 due to renovations.
Time in temporary location
Currently, the renovation is scheduled for approximately six months. We will communicate as needed and when the renovation is complete as we prepare to move the Office back to its permanent location.
Important dates and information
On Friday, January 13, 2023, the VPO staff will physically relocate to the temporary location. Please recommend to your IC staff who have a visa or passport-related case that needs to be managed to submit their packages to the VPO
before or after Friday, January 13, 2023. The VPO staff will not be available to receive or process cases because they will be physically relocating and their systems will be down.
Where to find the FIC VPO Staff
Starting on January 17, 2023:
FIC Visa/Passport Office
Building 31, Room 3B41
31 Center Dr. MSC 2220
Bethesda, MD 20892-2220
Office hours: Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 9 a.m. to 12 noon
We look forward to continuing our partnership with the NIH community during our temporary relocation.
Updated December 15, 2022