The following policies and procedures apply when using faciliaties located in the Lawton Chiles International House (Stone House), which are part of the Fogarty International Center and located on the U.S. National Institutes of Health (NIH) main campus in Bethesda, Maryland.
For information about availability and reservations, please contact:
FIC Stone House Scheduler
The house is normally open weekdays from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.; therefore, conferences should be scheduled to adjourn no later than 5:00 p.m. with attendees vacating the building by 5:30 .m., advance arrangements must be made with the building manager and will be accommodated, if possible. Consideration will be given to scheduling events at other times when a special need is demonstrated.
The conference room can accommodate
up to 75 people and can be arranged
in many styles.
In those instances where an I/C requests authority to use the house for an evening or weekend event for which it is the paramount sponsor, the I/C will be requested to pay the overtime or weekend premium pay for the Fogarty employee(s) assigned to supervise the function.
Use of the house requires the approval of the Executive Officer of Fogarty. Contact should be made with the building manager (301-496-1213) to determine the availability of the facility and then the request can be by memorandum to the Executive Officer. The memorandum should include the following information:
- description of the international or scientific nature/purpose of the function;
- approximate number of people expected;
- time and date(s) desired;
- whether or not alcohol will be served*;
- meal and or coffee services required;
- equipment needed; and
- the name, telephone number, and building/room number of the coordinator responsible for the event.
*The serving of alcoholic beverages will be limited to official receptions and dinners for international visitors and must be requested following the NIH Manual Chapter 1130 - General Administration #31 "Alcohol for Official Entertaining".
The following timetable indicates the maximum time in advance that reservations may be made:
- Fogarty Functions - No time limit
- NIH Director/Office of the Secretary Functions - Six months ahead
- NIH I/Cs - Three months ahead
On an occasion, it may be necessary to book an event earlier than three to six months. However, if an event is booked more than six (6) months in advance, an alternative site should be considered in the event the facility would not be available.
A tentative reservation will be held by the building manager for a maximum of two (2) weeks to allow the requesting memorandum to reach the Fogarty Executive Officer.
The sponsoring organization may be required to find alternate space in the event a higher priority need arises which is beyond the control of Fogarty.
The event sponsor will be responsible for complying with the following rules governing the use of the facility:
- Use of the first floor only; the second floor and third floors are restricted to Fogarty staff
- A maximum occupancy of 75 persons seated in the conference room
- A maximum occupancy of 175 persons for official social functions for the entire first floor
- No smoking in the building
- No food or beverage in the conference room
- The serving of alcoholic beverages will be limited to official receptions and dinners for international visitors
- Prior to the event, the requestor must furnish to the building manager a full agenda and final list of participants (in alphabetical order by last name) for the event
The event sponsor should keep in mind the restrictions on occupancy when announcing a public meeting or planning a social function.
The sponsoring organization must provide all staff, supplies, and necessary funding for catering services, etc. for the event scheduled, including overtime involved for Fogarty personnel. Fogarty has a small staff that can provide minimal assistance. Information on the availability of such assistance may be obtained from the building manager.
The sponsor of the event is responsible for clean-up, trash removal, and for repairing damage to government property.
The event sponsor will be responsible for obtaining any required security clearance from the NIH Office of Research Services. The building manager will be provided a list of participants and an individual from the sponsoring organization should be available to assist in identifying the participants.
The Stone House policy document must be approved and signed by the Fogarty Director upon booking an event.
Updated October 2017