NIH: Fogarty International Center NIH: Fogarty International Center
Advancing Science for Global Health
Advancing Science for Global Health
Home > Programs > Information > JSPS Intramural Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) Print

COVID-19 is an emerging, rapidly evolving situation.

COVID-19 public health info from US CDC  |  COVID-19 research info from the US NIH  |  COVID-19 resources for global health researchers

JSPS Intramural Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Find answers to frequently asked questions about the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) Intramural Fellowships.

  1. Where should I send my application?

    Your application (signed original) along with its supporting documentation should be mailed (or hand carried) to the address below.

    Attn: Mili Ferreira, MPH
    National Institutes of Health
    Fogarty International Center
    31 Center Drive, Room B2C31
    Bethesda, Maryland 20892-6705

    In addition, an electronic version of your application should be sent to

  2. Are the deadlines dates received by or postmarked by?

    They are received by deadlines.

  3. When is Japan's Fiscal Year?

    Japan's Fiscal Year goes from April 1 to March 31 of each year.

  4. Can I apply if I only have a M.D. degree and no Ph.D.?

    No, you must have at least a Ph.D. to apply to the Fellowship.

  5. Can a successful applicant postpone the Fellowship for a year?

    No, the successful applicant must start the fellowship of the fiscal year period they applied for. The start date must begin on January 1, February 1, or March 1.

  6. How is an applicant informed if they receive the JSPS fellowship or not?

    All applicants will receive a hard copy of a letter from JSPS Tokyo informing them by October if they are successful or not. The successful applicant will then receive an email from JSPS Tokyo on further instructions.

  7. Will the applicants receive their application review comments and score?

    Yes, once JSPS notifies all the applicants, NIH will send out the review comments/scores via email to all the applicants.

  8. What needs to be original and what can be a copy?

    The application must be an original with an original signature. The certificate of PhD degree must also be an original (with original seal and signature). All other supporting documents can be submitted as a copy.

Reviewed March 2020