U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

NIH: Fogarty International Center NIH: Fogarty International Center
Advancing Science for Global Health
Advancing Science for Global Health
Home > Programs > Information > Answers to Questions about the Millennium Promise Awards: Non-communicable Chronic Diseases Research Training Program Print

Answers to Questions about the Millennium Promise Awards: Non-communicable Chronic Diseases Research Training Program

Questions and Answers for applicants, related to the International Non-communicable Disease Research Training Program.

Q. The PA states "Resubmissions". Resubmissions are acceptable. Such applications must include an introduction addressing the previous peer review critique (Summary Statement). Renewal applications will not be accepted.

Q. Are renewals allowed?

A. The only reason that renewals of this NCoD program are not allowed is because this program is only now just beginning. Applications that build on programs with previous Fogarty International support are considered new applications for this Millennium Promise Award and are not renewals. They will receive a new application number.

Q: Does this program use NRSA funds?

A. No. This is a Fogarty training program and does not use NRSA funding. Therefore, foreign trainees can be given stipends.

Q: Do applications have to target only certain areas?

A. It is best to target the research interests of the training program to those in the PA including for example cerebrovascular disease, cancer, and stroke, obesity, air pollution. As other diseases are related to those, they can be included. But the program is heavily dependent on the collaboration of the partner institutes and centers, the topics for research will be related to qualifications, experience and interests of the applicants and their institutions.

Q: Do I have to send in a letter of intent?

A. No, a letter of intent is not required. But it can be helpful for the review administration and thus it is strongly encouraged.

Q: What are Letters of Intent used for?

A. The letters of intent can furnish information that will assist the review administrator in determining the selection of reviewers, with specific expertise, which is needed at the review in relation to the application.

Q: What elements would be good to include in a letter of intent?

A. Include the parent grant information or information about the research work that is done in the foreign site that will be informing the trainees. Also a few paragraphs about the research training program are helpful in the letter of intent.

Q: Are U.S. citizens and permanent residents eligible to be trainees in this program?

A. No, the trainees are to be the foreign site trainees. The program is a capacity building program for the foreign site.

Q: Does the research have to be done in the foreign site?

A. The trainees' research experiences can be in the U.S. or the foreign site but it is expected that there will be increasing experience in the foreign site. In the final years of the grants it would be expected that almost all, if not all, of the research experience would be in the foreign site.

We have specifically stated that, if there is not active research for the trainee to be working with in the foreign country at the onset of the grant, this research opportunity should be developed within two years of the grant. It would be, of course, encouraged for the research activities to be present at the time of the award.

Q: Does the training have to be done in the foreign site?

A. Training can be done in the U.S. and/or at the foreign site. It would be expected that as much training that can be done in the foreign site be done there. It would also be expected that the training opportunities at the foreign site would be developing and training would be increasingly done at the foreign site.

Q: Are multiple PIs allowed?

A. We encourage multiple PIs to be registered, e.g. one per site. This captures valuable information in the NIH computer and gives credit to each of the major researcher training directors.

Q: Is a foreign institution eligible to apply independently for this award, or does the application need to be in collaboration with a U.S. based institution?

A. A foreign institution that has the capability of doing appropriate research training can apply on its own. It may be preferable to have a collaboration with a high income country training and research institution but that it is not required.

Q: Can other than U.S. high-income countries be collaborators?

A. Yes, any high-income country can be a collaborator. But the trainees must be from the low- or middle-income country and the bulk of funds must be spent in the LMIC and on the LMIC trainees.

Q: What research collaboration is needed for the application between the high-income site (generally the U.S.) and the foreign site?

A. There must be a general collaboration between the high income country institution and the LMIC institution at the time of the application. At the time also there must be active research ongoing in the LMIC, although not necessarily in direct collaboration with the high-income country institution.

The application must explain how, within 2 years of the award, research in the LMIC will be developed and be active.

Q: Do trainees have to be at the masters or PhD level?

A. No, trainees can be at any level including junior faculty.