Fogarty's Strategic Plan advances the global health research agenda by building on past and current Fogarty investments and successes in a way that responds to the changed landscape in global health. Fogarty investments will continue to advance the goals and sustain the leadership of the NIH and the U.S. government in biomedical research, while improving the health of Americans and populations across the globe.
Strategic Plan Goals
Goal 1: Build research capacity through INDIVIDUALS, INSTITUTIONS and NETWORKS to meet future and evolving global health challenges
- Support training of INDIVIDUALS to build future research leaders in the U.S. and low- and middle-income countries (LMICs).
- Invest in INSTITUTIONS as sustainable platforms for research in LMICs.
- Promote research NETWORKS.
- Stimulate linkages among disciplines to address complex global health problems.
Goal 2: Stimulate innovation in the development and implementation of technologies and other locally relevant solutions to address global health problems
- Support the enhanced use of information and communication technologies to facilitate and improve health research education.
- Encourage innovation in the development and implementation of mobile and other technologies, systems, and policies to address global health problems.
Goal 3: Support research and research training in implementation science
- Expand investment in research and research training in implementation science across programs.
- Catalyze interaction between researchers, policymakers and program implementers to promote uptake of evidence into global health policy and practice.
Goal 4: Advance research on prevention and control of the dual burden of communicable and noncommunicable diseases and disabilities
- Support research and research training in clinical, behavioral and population sciences.
- Identify ways to leverage investments in communicable diseases, including HIV, to better address the dual burden of disease.
Goal 5: Build and strengthen partnerships to advance global health research and research capacity
- Engage and support the NIH Institutes and Centers to advance their research agendas for global health.
- Forge partnerships at home and abroad to leverage complementary interests and strengths.
- Convene global experts to address priority research questions and catalyze new areas of science.
Updated January 17, 2023