NIH Employee DS-82 Official Passport or Renewal Instructions
This form can be used to apply for an official U.S. passport when submitting a personal passport with the application
OR for renewing a previously issued official U.S. passport.
There are four criteria for using this form. Please review the following statements to see if you are eligible to apply with Form DS-82:
- I can submit my most recent passport.
- I was at least 16 years old when my most recent passport was issued.
- I was issued my most recent passport less than 15 years ago.
- I use the same name as on my most recent passport, OR, since my passport was issued, I have had my name changed by marriage or court order and can submit proper documentation to reflect my name change.
If any of the four statements above is not true,
STOP! You cannot use form DS-82. You must use
Passport Application Form DS 82, using the Department of State form filler tool.
- Have your most recent passport information available when filling out the form.
- Select "Fill Out Online and Print"
- For Contact Information – Mailing Address, use:
- Street Address: Courier
- Street Address 2: HHS/NIH
- City: Bethesda
- State: MD
- Zip Code: 20892
- Put your address in the Permanent Address section.
- For Your Most Recent Passport, use your expired/expiring official passport or your personal passport if applying for an official passport for the first time.
- For Passport Products and Fees, select
Passport Book. Ignore the fee information. There is no fee for the official passport.
- Review your information and print out the form,
Sign and date your form.
- If you notice an error after printing, you will need to start over and complete a new form. Handwritten additions or changes cause delays in processing.
- For additional guidance and screen shots, see the
form filler tutorial.
Recent photo: One 2”x2” color photograph on a light background,
taken within the last 6 months.
- Submitting an old or previously used photo causes processing delays.
- Pictures may be obtained from the NIH photography team in the
Event Management Branch Multimedia Section:
Bring a completed
photography request form.
- Location: Building 10, Room B2L328
- Telephone: 301-496-9993
- Hours: Tuesdays from 9 to 11 a.m. and Thursdays from 3 to 4 p.m.
- Eye glasses may not be worn in passport photos. If you cannot remove your glasses for medical reasons, you’ll need to obtain and submit a signed statement from a medical professional or practitioner with your passport application.
- Original, most recently issued passport:
- For first-time official passport applicants, your original, most recently issued personal passport must be submitted. It is State Department regulation to view the personal passport. The personal passport will be held by the State Department for the duration of the process. Both personal and official passport will be returned to Fogarty.
- For renewal of an official passport, the original expiring/expired official passport must be submitted. The personal passport is not required for the renewal process.
- If you have changed your name since your identification was issued, provide legal documentation (e.g., a marriage certificate).
passport information sheet [PDF 35K].
- Supervisory approval of your request to travel
- If your travel authorization is not yet in the CGE travel system, provide a copy of your supervisor’s approval of your request to travel.
Our Office is Temporarily Moving!
Effective January 17, 2023, the Fogarty International Center (FIC) Visa Passport Office (VPO) will be temporarily relocated to Building 31, Room 3B41 due to renovations.
Time in temporary location
Currently, the renovation is scheduled for approximately six months. We will communicate as needed and when the renovation is complete as we prepare to move the Office back to its permanent location.
Important dates and information
On Friday, January 13, 2023, the VPO staff will physically relocate to the temporary location. Please recommend to your IC staff who have a visa or passport-related case that needs to be managed to submit their packages to the VPO
before or after Friday, January 13, 2023. The VPO staff will not be available to receive or process cases because they will be physically relocating and their systems will be down.
Where to find the FIC VPO Staff
Starting on January 17, 2023:
FIC Visa/Passport Office
Building 31, Room 3B41
31 Center Dr. MSC 2220
Bethesda, MD 20892-2220
Office hours: Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 9 a.m. to 12 noon
We look forward to continuing our partnership with the NIH community during our temporary relocation.
Updated January 6. 2023