Global mHealth Research Training Institute
June 6 - 9, 2016
Fogarty's Center for Global Health Studies (CGHS) hosted the Global mHealth Research Training Institute at the U.S. National Institutes of Health's main campus in Bethesda, Maryland, in June 2016. This short-term, scenario-based training promoted multidisciplinary research, implementation science and novel research methodologies to a cohort of researchers from diverse fields who are helping to lay the groundwork for future mHealth research projects and begin to build the evidence base for impactful technologies.
Training materials and resources from the Institute will be posted soon!
About Global mHealth Research
Mobile technologies have enormous potential to transform health care in low- and middle-income countries (LMICs), where use of mHealth applications are increasing. However, few of the current efforts measure health outcomes, cost-effectiveness, and impact on public health, demonstrating the need for rigorous research and dissemination of study results.
Fogarty, in partnership with other NIH Institutes and Centers, outside partners, and academic leaders in the field, has developed an mHealth research program, Mobile Health: Technology and Outcomes in Low and Middle Income Countries, which supports the development of an evidence base for the use of mHealth technologies to improve clinical and public health outcomes, while also building related research capacity in LMICs. The Global mHealth Research Training Institute complements Fogarty's mHealth research program.
Global mHealth Research Training Institute Leadership
- Gari Clifford, Emory University
- Thomas Odeny, Kenya Medical Research Institute
- Donna Sprujit-Metz, University of Southern California
- U.S. National Science Foundation
- U.S. National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- Fogarty International Center
- National Cancer Institutes (NCI)
- National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute (NHLBI)
- National Institute of Biomedical Imaging and Bioengineering (NIBIB)
- National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH)
- National Institute of Nursing Research (NINR)
- National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders (NIDCD)
- NIH Office of Behavioral and Social Science Research (OBSSR)
- Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia (UPCH)
- World Health Organization
Susan Vorkoper, M.P.H., M.S.W.
Global Health Research and Policy Analyst
Fogarty International Center
Updated June 21, 2016