COVID-19 is an emerging, rapidly evolving situation.
Malaria Drug Resistance
Poor quality medicines are a real and urgent threat that could undermine decades of successful efforts to combat HIV/AIDS, malaria and tuberculosis, according to the editors of a new collection of journal articles.
Poor quality antimalarial drugs lead to drug resistance and inadequate treatment that pose an urgent threat to vulnerable populations, according to a Fogarty study.
Fogarty and NIAID convened drug-resistant malaria experts to examine the problem, identify possible approaches, spark collaborations and spur the field to take action.
An international collaboration that includes NIAID uncovered a mutation in the malaria parasite in Cambodia that enables it to survive artemisinin, the most potent antimalarial drug available.
- Global pandemic of fake medicines poses urgent risk, scientists say
Fogarty/NIH news, April 20, 2015
- Related publications: The Global Pandemic of Falsified Medicines: Laboratory and Field Innovations and Policy Perspectives
June 2015 supplement to the American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, published online April 20, 2015
- Stemming the tide of fake medicines
New York Times editorial, May 18, 2015
- Why researchers say fake and low-quality drugs are a 'global
Washington Post, April 20, 2015
- Substandard drugs, not fakes, undermine fight against
Reuters Health, April 20, 2015
- Fake medicines do real damage: Thousands die, superbugs get
stronger according to Fogarty Senior Scientist Emeritus Dr Joel
NPR Goats and Soda blog, April 24, 2015
- Study shows parasite mutation behind drug-resistant malaria in Cambodia
Jan / Feb 2014 Global Health Matters\
- FDA acts against compromised antimalarial drugs
May / Jun 2013 Global Health Matters
- Resistance to malaria drugs is a growing concern
Sep / Oct 2012 Global Health Matters
- Meeting report on Fogarty and NIAID conference on artemisinin-resistant malaria: Artemisinin-resistant malaria: Research challenges, opportunities and public health implications
American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, August 2012
- Fogarty study shows poor quality and fake malaria drugs pose threat
May / Jun 2012 Global Health Matters
- NIH study shows poor quality malaria drugs pose threat:
Drug resistance a growing concern in Southeast Asia and sub-Saharan Africa
NIH News, May 21, 2012